Saturday, December 28, 2013

Holiday Recovery

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, ours was a bit of a whirlwind! My parents and brother came in town for almost a week, but it went by in the the blink of an eye.
I think I spend so much time prepping for events and holidays like these, its hard to slow down to actually enjoy them. Chasing after 3 kids makes it a little difficult as well. 

We had a lovely time visiting, and playing games, and tons and tons of eating...my body is still saying I'm hungry, every hour ( um, yummy)!

 Me and my husband got to spend a whole 24 hours out! We have been away from the kids 3 times since my son was born, 3 1/2 years ago. So we needed a date night. We went to a movie, a fabulous dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House, and a nights stay at a beautiful local resort. My mom and dad, had an eventful time with the kids, they are awesome!
It was so strange being without the kids. At the hotel before dinner we just sat with the balcony door
opened (since it was like 70 degrees) and listened to a nearby fountain.... we laughed at how quiet it was.
I sat and just relaxed, no Christmas wrapping, or shopping for that matter, no work, no computers, just silence...aaahhhh. I would say we do this far to little!

Christmas Eve was spent with some family friends, and then building children's presents.
FYI, if it has more than 60 pieces, there's a good chance it will take more than a couple hours!
Good thing we had reinforcements......to bad I got stuck with the most difficult piece. 




Christmas day was wonderful, we spent hours opening presents, and throwing paper around. The kids were all old enough this year to really get into the excitement. Every toy had to be opened immediately after unwrapping...it was a long morning, but worth it.

The Christmas "carnage", as we like to call it, was unreal. By lunchtime, there was stuff in every square inch of my downstairs.

With 8 of us we had alot to recycle today. I'm embarrassed to say how much was sitting on the curb, but even more embarrassed, that it was still there after the trash man came!
My husband then, loaded up an entire car full of paper and cardboard, to be taken to and un-named location
Needless to say, even today, I'm still cleaning up the house.
 I feel like I'm making a dent, and then I look around, and its more of a pin-prick than a dent. 

I usually dread the new year, and I hate to make a resolution. This year though, I'm actually excited. This last year has been a LONG one. It flew by, but I was so super busy, I feel like I didn't really live in the moment. This year I'm taking a different approach. I'm filling my schedule a little bit looser, and making more time for my self, and for my family. 
One of the big presents I gave to my daughter this year, was about just that. It was inspired by something I posted about on my holiday gift guide recently. A monthly craft kit, by For The Makers. It was really for adults, and I wanted to do something that would be a bit more kid friendly. So I made my own. 
I made a craft package with all the pieces for one craft, to do one night each week, with my daughter, just the two of us....that's 52 crafts you guys!

Let me tell you this is alot harder to put together than it sounds. Alot of the stuff had to be purchased in multiples, or in packs, and got really expensive, but it could be put together a bit simpler, and cheaper. My daughter is about to be 12, so I tried to do things that would be relevant to her, and what she would want to wear, or make. My plan is to show you, once a month, what we have made for our weekly projects. I'll show you what we did, and where to find the supplies, and even a tutorial. 

Bringing in the new year also brings in a house load of cleaning, organizing, and redecorating. I think that's why I love setting up for Christmas so much, I know I get to take a bunch of stuff down, and move it around in the new year. I have lots of new projects planned for around the house, and new stuff needs to be bought. I wish I could make a website, for the remodel-aholic like my self, so when the new comes in, some of the old gets to a new home. Not like Ebay or anything, something just for homeless decor...I have boxes full of it. If the idea shows up online in a year or two, remember you heard it hear first!

I hope you all are recovering from a great holiday as well, and getting to sit, and relax a little while yourselves.
I have lots of fun ideas, and new projects to show you this year...So clean up the holiday decor, and get ready! 





1 comment :

  1. Can't wait to see the crafts y'all do! And, you can always bring stuff to my decor less home :) You have done great things this year and I am proud of all of the things you have accomplished. You have two thriving businesses and a wonderful family and I am lucky to be able to call you my best friend. Here's to 2014 being the best year yet!

    ReplyDelete