Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A "Name"


 What's in a name?
These days you pick a name based on how is sounds, or just to be different. It is a tough thing to pick a name. When your prgenant your really dwell over this. How it sounds with your last name, using a family members name, a unique name, the options nowadays are endless. 

When I was pregnant with my first, I did it the old fashioned way, I looked through a book. When I ran across Ashlyn, I knew that was it! I loved it, and had never heard it before. But of course the second you decide something like that, you hear it everywhere. It was always out there you just weren't listening for it. 

When I was pregnant with my son, it was a very tough decision. Me and my husband went back and forth between names, started with a listed, deleted, and added to it. My husband came up with some real doozies, Killian (not so sure we should have given him the same name as a beer), and Poway (the city her grew up in). He also wanted to give him the middle name of "Cool", he was very serious. I think the hormones were going to his head as well! 
By the time we made it to the hospital, we had narrowed it down to a couple names, after my son was born, we had narrowed it down to two. On the day of discharge, we had a name, but couldn't agree on spelling. I think the registrars office called 10 times. He even asked how many days after we went home,  did we have to name him. I put my foot down and said we were NOT leaving with out a name. We finally decided on Braeden. After we got home, he questioned the spelling for days, if you knew my husband, you would know this is perfectly normal. 

With my last child, it was a similar situation, we had 2 names we had narrowed it down to. That day after he had gone home to take care of the other kids, he called with a new name to add to the mix. I had already like the name, and he took it off the list, so to avoid leaving the hospital with a nameless child, I agreed. We named her Kiera. 

Adding a name to a mural or hand painting on the child's wall,  is a great way to personalize a room. It also helps you feel confident, on a day-to-day basis, that you chose the perfect name!

Here are a few fun ways to do that.









No comments :

Post a Comment